Know Your Options & Defenses
If you're sued for eviction in Hamilton County, Ohio

What can you do if you are facing eviction?

If your landlord is trying to evict you, you have some options to protect yourself. You should find which option best fits your situation, and then act quickly. This will help you use your time and money in the best way for you.

You have 3 main options to choose from when you are facing an eviction. Which one best fits you?

If you think you can come to an agreement with your landlord, you can make a settlement with them.

If you think you may have a defense against the landlord’s claims, you can learn how to represent yourself.

If you want to leave the home, or don’t think you have a defense, then you can make plans to move to another home.

Are you in a special category?

If you live in government-assisted housing, or if you live in a mobile home — you have different options to respond to an eviction.


Call Legal Aid Society for Greater Cincinnati for help at (513) 241-9400. Or visit them at their website.

Find Legal Help

Get Legal Information or Speak with a free lawyer at the court’s Help Center 

Visit or call the Help Center at 513-946-5650 to get legal information or to make a free 40 minute appointment with a lawyer. They cannot represent you in court. For more information, visit room 113 of the Hamilton County Courthouse or visit

Find a Lawyer to Represent You in Court 

Call Legal Aid Society of Cincinnati at 513-241-9400, or go to You may qualify for a free lawyer. If eligible, Legal Aid could represent you in court.

Hire a private lawyer

Visit or call 513-381-8359 for a referral. You can ask them about the Modest Means Program. This may let you get a private lawyer for a more affordable price.

© 2019 Hamilton County Municipal Help Center